Blackboard Organizations expand the scope of the enterprise Blackboard system at the iSchool at Syracuse University to support non-course groups. These organizations can serve as an online meeting space for groups that would like a space for information sharing, collaboration, and communication. Blackboard organizations are available for groups that support the academic, administrative, and research missions of the school, as well as recognized student groups (Note: Student groups must have a faculty/staff sponsor). Some examples might include faculty and/or staff organizations, departmental organizations, research groups, and student organizations recognized by Student Affairs.
Organizations provide a collection of web-based tools, making it easy for group members to participate in on-line activities such as:
- Document sharing (papers, agendas, minutes, reports, etc.)
- Planning and administration (announcements, calendar)
- Communication (mailing lists, discussion boards, real-time chat and white board)
- Groups (communications and document sharing between members)
- On-line surveys
- Links to other on-line resources (web pages, databases)
A Blackboard Organization is managed by one or more leaders who can build the content of the site and enable tools for the participants. Additional participants may be assigned support roles such as assistant or builder which have limited administrative privileges. Participants may access materials and participate in an organization, but not change settings or add content.
If you are interested in having an organization created for you in Blackboard, please send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information:
- Organization Name
- Organization Sponsor
- Organization Leader Name and NetID
- If you would like this organization password protected, password you would like to use