Things Faculty Need to Know about Blackboard
- Courses and enrollments into Blackboard are fully automated through the registration process. Each semester, official courses and enrollments are populated from the registration process and updates to those courses and enrollments are performed twice a day. You do not need to request a course in Blackboard for your courses.
- By default, courses that have been generated each semester are labeled “unavailable” meaning students cannot access them. It’s up to the instructor as to when they would like their course to be made “available” to the enrolled students.
- You can merge multiple sections of the same course or cross-listed courses. You can merge as many sections as you want but you CANNOT merge an already merged course by yourself. To add to or remove courses from an already merged course you MUST contact the faculty center. In order to merge courses, you need to be an instructor of the courses.
- You can add a TA, Course Builder or Grader to your course. Go to the Blackboard Roles page for a description and how to add them.
- Organizations – Blackboard Organizations expand the scope of the enterprise Blackboard system at Syracuse University to support non-course groups. These organizations can serve as an online meeting space for groups that would like a space for information sharing, collaboration and communication.
- You can contact the faculty center for teaching and learning for assistance anytime. New and advanced users of Blackboard can send an email to email@example.com to request assistance, training or report a problem.