Create a constructive classroom environment through communication to deal with behavior issues:1
- Take a preemptive approach by defining expectations in the syllabus and again discussing them at the first class meeting.
- Decrease anonymity by forming personal relationships with students.
- Seek feedback from students.
- Encourage active learning.
- Use language in a de-escalating fashion by strongly and assertively requesting the behavior stop rather than ordering the behavior to stop.
- Assume a positive intent when addressing student behavior.
- Speaking with the student in private and encouraging a change in behavior might mitigate future disruptions.
- Asking the student to leave is an option – use it if necessary.